The company still needs time to develop SDK and certification programs for devices.
- Although a standard called Matter already has a “full-blown specification,” the vendor group still needs to finalize SDK and certification programs for devices, said Tobin Richardson , director of the Connectivity Standards Alliance ( formerly Zigbee Alliance).
- We are talking about a single standard for access control systems, security, lighting and electricity, heating and so on, the organization specified.
- Initially, the companies planned to complete development in 2021, but they had to postpone the release of certified devices, as well as the opening of the certification program for the first half of 2022.
- As the journalist Stacy Higginbotham notes , there may be several reasons – both the joining of the group of manufacturers of new companies, and the complexity of such a large-scale project. In total, in addition to Apple, Google and Amazon, it is supported by about 200 companies around the world.
- Apple, Google, Amazon and the Zigbee Alliance agreed to develop a single standard in December 2019, and in September 2020 announced its release in 2021.